Friday, May 25, 2012

Homograph Alert!

I've come to the realization that it's going to take a lot more effort (and luck) to think up some homographs than it is for homophones. For example, when somebody says the word bear, you might easily think of the word bare too. They sound the same, and the similarity is easier to identify. But, if somebody says, "I lead a team of experts," it's harder to connect the word "lead" to the word "lead" (a form of metal).

So, when I started reading my first James Patterson novel this week, I was delighted when I came across a homograph! And I thought I'd share it with you:

wound - (pronounced woond) an injury, usually involving division of tissue or rupture of the integument or mucous membrane, due to external violence or some mechanical agency rather than disease.
wound - a simple past tense and past participle of wind. I wound that ball of string.

Which brings me to another homograph...

wind - (pronounced wahynd) to change direction; bend; turn; take a frequently bending course; meander: The river winds through the forest. Or to coil or twine about something: The ivy winds around the house.
wind - air in natural motion, as that moving horizontally at any velocity along the earth's surface: A gentle wind blew through the valley. High winds were forecast.


So this week, you get a twofer of homographs!

All definitions were obtained from www.dictionary.com.