Saturday, May 19, 2012

Food-related Homonyms

So for Mother's Day, my husband decided to get me a spice rack. I was really excited when he told me his idea, but then he couple that with, "and I know how picky you are so I want you to actually go and buy it, but I still get credit for having the idea!" I was a bit thrown off, but I figure what they hay, I'm getting a spice rack! (And in his defense, he did come with me and spend at least an hour at two different stores until I found the one I wanted.)

In case you're interested, you can see the one I got at JCPenny's website.

I picked one out that already had jars pre-filled with spices. And one of them was thyme. I think you can probably see where I'm going with this. Seeing thyme got me started thinking about other food-related homonyms for the week. Here's what I came up with:

thyme - any of numerous plants belonging to the genus Thymus, of the mint family, including the common garden herb T. vulgaris, a low subshrub having narrow, aromatic leaves used for seasoning.
time - the system of those sequential relations that any event has to any other, as past, present, or future; indefinite and continuous duration regarded as that in which events succeed one another.

pear - the edible fruit, typically rounded but elongated and growing smaller toward the stem, of a tree, Pyrus communis, of the rose family.
pair - two identical, similar, or corresponding things that are matched for use together: a pair of gloves; a pair of earrings.
pare - to reduce or remove by or as by cutting; diminish or decrease gradually (often followed by down): to pare down one's expenses.


(Other forms of pair and pare are also homonyms, including: paired and pared, plus pairing and paring.)

sweets - something that is sweet or causes or gives a sweet flavor, smell, or sound: candy.
suites - a connected series of rooms to be used together: a hotel suite.


wine - the fermented juice of grapes, made in many varieties, such as red, white, sweet, dry, still, and sparkling, for use as a beverage, in cooking, in religious rites, etc., and usually having an alcoholic content of 14 percent or less.
whine - to utter a low, usually nasal, complaining cry or sound, as from uneasiness, discontent, peevishness, etc.: The puppies were whining from hunger.


Speaking of wine, what good is wine without a little cheese right?

whey - a milk serum, separating as liquid from the curd after coagulation, as in cheese making.
weigh - to determine or ascertain the force that gravitation exerts upon (a person or thing) by use of a balance, scale, or other mechanical device: to weigh oneself; to weigh potatoes; to weigh gases.
way - a direction or vicinity: Look this way. We're having a drought out our way.


grate - to reduce to small particles by rubbing against a rough surface or a surface with many sharp-edged openings: to grate cheese.
great - wonderful; first-rate; very good: All this food tastes great!


Definitions were obtained from www.dictionary.com.